11 Feb MEDRC and UNESCO-IHE Institute for Water Education Partnership Focus on Palestinian Water Research Needs
Focus on Palestinian Water Research Needs
The Middle East Desalination Research Center (MEDRC) and the UNESCO-IHE Institute for Water Education have signed a partnership agreement that will see the two institutions further develop joint initiatives to assist the development of Palestinian water research capacity.
MEDRC and UNESCO-IHE have collaborated for many years in assisting researchers and research projects that focus on the water needs of Gaza and the West bank.
UNESCO-IHE is the largest international postgraduate water education facility in the world. The institute confers fully accredited MSc degrees and promotes PhDs. Since 1957 the institute has provide postgraduate education to more than 14,500 water professionals from over 160 countries, the vast majority of from the developing world.
MEDRC supports and facilitates almost thirty research projects annually in the West bank and Gaza in the fields of desalination and water reuse.
Both institutions have agreed to develop joint initiatives in the following areas;
- Collaboration on joint proposal submissions for water research projects
- Cooperation in the development of joint events and conferences in areas of mutual strengths including desalination, water reuse and water, energy, food security nexus
- Knowledge exchange and sharing of best practices
- Joint initiatives to build Palestinian research capacity
- Initiatives to assisting individual Palestinian researchers